de Veau with Morels
Ingredients for 4 people :
- 4 veal sweetbreads, approx. 200 g per
- 5 small or 3 large morels (fresh or dried)
- 150 to 200 ml of cream
- 1 onion
- 2 small carottes
- 1/2 leek
- 1 heaping Tbsp of Madera wine
- 20 g hazelnut butter
- 250 ml of fond brun
- 4 slices of toast
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Blanch the veal sweetbreads. Place them
in a casserole dish with cold water. After the water boils leave them
in for 30 sec to 1 minute. Remove the sweatbreads and place them in
cold water. To denerve them, pull and try to remove as many filaments
- Put them in a court-bouillon for 45
minutes with the carrots, onion, leek, bay leaf, thyme and salt
- During this time, prepare the sauce.
Place the morels in a little bit of court-bouillon for one minute.
Add 250 ml of fond brun. Simmer everything (until reduced), add Madera
wine, pepper and cream. Allow to thicken. Salt to taste.
- While the sauce is simmering, place
the veal sweetbreads in the hazelnut butter. Sear each side for one
minute over high heat (this may vary with the size of the veal sweetbreads)
When they are browned, simmer on low heat for 8 to 10 min, being careful
not to overcook so they remain moist.
- Serve on toast, drizzle with sauce,
and sprinkle with parsley. Can be served with green beans wrapped
in bacon and baked tomatoes..
A recipe from the chef of «Les
Abattoirs» Restaurant in Chambéry, France :