Quebec lamb hind shanks with Labrador Tea
(for 4 people), from Chef Éric Marquis.
- 4 Québec lamb hind shanks
- 1 tsp powdered Labrador tea (Gaspésie Sauvage)
- 1 Tbsp Sea salt
- fresh coarsely ground pepper
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves (if not available, use zest of ½ lime)
- 1 tsp dehydrated onion pieces
- 20 Labrador tea leaves
- 1 L water
- 400 ml «La Maison du Gibier» lamb stock (if not available, use beef stock)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 white onion
- in a bowl, mix the sea salt, Labrador tea, pepper, dehydrated onion and lime leaves.
- coat the lamb hind shanks in the mixture and marinate in the fridge for 4 hours.
- during this time, boil the water, add the Labrador tea leaves, remove from heat and allow to steep for 30 min.
- chop the onions and cut the garlic into quarters. Put them in the bottom of a casserole dish and put the lamb hind shanks
- Bake in a 260°F (130°C) oven for 3 hours.
- add the steeped tea and the lamb stock, cover and cook for 1 hour more.
- Remove from the oven, and season to taste.
- Serve each person one lamb hind shanks topped with its own juices, a garden salad, fresh buttered asparagus and a few Gaspésie Sauvage mushrooms
Chef for La Maison du Gibier